Pontoon Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Pontoon Boat Forum > Everything About Pontoon Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminum Tubing thickness for Sundeck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum Tubing thickness for Sundeck
    Posted: 03/13/2014 at 1:16pm
Have a 24" Pontoon boat with the Fioberglass Pontoon and am planing on installing an approx 8x8 upper deck. Im lookming at using 2" square aluminum tubing. The question is will 1/8" be thick enough? I will have " Y" supports at each connection. Thanks
curtiscapk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtiscapk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2014 at 10:15am
hopefully one of the ph guys will be along soon. I have no clue.Shocked
Craig n Paula
THE FLOATER Rebuild
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
22mph
OP KS
Truman Lake
PS-Guy View Drop Down
INACTIVE
INACTIVE
Senior Admin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PS-Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2014 at 10:30am
I would think the place where you buy the raw material should be able to advise you on this.  Draw up a quick sketch of what you are doing, with some measurements and show them.  Most of those guys know what's up.

Feel free to contact me for help on your project!

Pontoon Seats
sceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2014 at 3:23pm

You'd be fine w/it for the columns as long as you have it braced sufficiently. Y's at the connections from the columns to the headers will help at top, but I'd also make sure it was braced at the bottom. Tying it in to the fencing should do. With people on top, the concern would be the back and forth inertia generated from that combined with leverage.

Personally, I definitely wouldn’t use it for the headers and deck cross members though. 7'-8" (8' minus 2" on each side) is quite a span for 2x2X1/8, especially the side headers that will receive the load from the cross members.  Going thicker than 1/8" wont make as much of a difference span wise as more vertical web would to really increase the load. I would run a 3” channel or 1 X3 or 4 rect tube for the headers around the periphery of deck and use the 2X2 as cross members.   

Like Curtiscpak said, see what the other guy’s with Party Huts say.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic